Studio Award at Phoenix Art Space
A new programme benefitting an artist with one year of support through rent–free studio space and other opportunities.
The award has been developed in direct response to the urgent need for affordable and secure workspace for artists , the availability of which has decreased significantly in recent years. The Covid–19 pandemic has had a detrimental impact on artists’ lives, with many experiencing reduced opportunities, losses in income and isolation. The Studio Award aims to cultivate spaces where artists can connect in a supportive studio environment that facilitates creative possibilities, risk–taking, experimentation and exchange. It has been established to celebrate talent, individuality and original thinking within contemporary art practice.
The one–year programme will provide a range of support including:
- A rent–free workspace at Phoenix Art Space (central Brighton) for one year starting in August 2021. 24–hour access. Please note the studio access is via stairs with no available lift.
- The artist will be part of a wider network of artists at Phoenix which will take advantage of possible collaborators and supporters
- Crit sessions with established relevant artists to ensure links with other artists based here and engagement with artist community
- A Window Gallery Exhibition to conclude the time spent in the studio and present the body of work produced (if appropriate)
- A Q&A session as part of the Window Gallery exhibition opening
- An Instagram takeover for a 1 week period documenting their Phoenix experience
- Taking part in the annual Open Studios providing access to local and national arts audiences
- The Award will be allocated based on talent and need.
- Artist statement (max 250 words) as an attachment
- Why the space would benefit you and your practice (max 250 words) as an attachment
- Details of any specific project you would use the space for if applicable (max 250 words) as an attachment.
- A link to your website/social media if applicable
- A link images of your work (a maximum of 6 images)
- A link to any film/video if applicable
The studio will be available to the successful artists from September 2021.
Image: Miranda Forrester, CASS Studio