Phoenix Art Space is a five-storey building in the centre of Brighton – four of the floors are dedicated to our diverse community of artists as studio spaces.
As a charity, we are able to offer affordable studio space to over 100 artists. Demand for the spaces is high and we generally run to capacity with a Pool List of artists waiting for spaces to become available.
Our studios are various sizes and charges for these range from £110 – £350 per month. Spaces are charged per sq ft.
Along with providing the space you need for your practice, having a studio at Phoenix is an opportunity to be involved with a vibrant community of creative people, who work together to develop ideas alongside a dedicated staff team for a bright and progressive future. For any information about our studio spaces please contact our Studio Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Each year we hold an Open Call inviting artists to apply to join our Pool List.
Applications are open for a two-week period in January or February. For notification of these dates please join our mailing list.
Our Open Call is promoted widely through our networks and on our social media.
Once the dates are announced the link to the application will be available from this page. Applications can only be made through this link and using the application form provided. We are unable to accept applications in any other format.
*Please note applications for 2020 are now closed.
Applications are welcome from artists from all disciplines. We have a selection process to ensure that artists meet the following criteria and can evidence this in their application:
- commitment to their professional practice
- engagement with current contemporary practice
- ambition to progress and develop their practice within a critical framework
- willingness to participate in public events, including the annual open studio event, and occasional studio visits
- willingness to promote the organisations activities and to acknowledge their part in the organisation where appropriate
- commitment to contributing to the professional development of artists at Phoenix Art Space by taking part in discussion, mentoring and critical debate
- willingness to engage with the organisation’s education and artistic programmes
- willingness to be part of an artists’ community and contribute to this
- commitment to spending the majority of their working time actively using the studio space
- show how your practice will benefit from the provision of affordable studio space at Phoenix Art Space
- ability to pay collective charges fully and on time.
- Applications are reviewed individually by a group of current Phoenix artists and the Studio Manager and then a selection meeting of the panel takes place (the artists on the panel change each year) This takes place 3 weeks after applications close
- Artists selected at this stage will be held on the Pool List until a suitable space becomes available
- Those selected and offered studio space will be expected to fulfil the criteria below on an ongoing basis
- We offer spaces to artists that successfully meet the selection criteria and who also match our requirements when a space becomes available
- Phoenix Art Space is keen to keep a balance of working practice, gender, age and ethnicity within the building, and this will be kept in mind when selecting artists and allocating studios
*Please note that due to the nature of our building, our studios are only accessible by stairs
Our ground floor which houses the gallery, education spaces and the cafe are accessible to all. For any further information on this please contact us.