PUBLIC EXHIBITION SPACE
Phoenix Brighton runs a year round programme of public exhibitions, events and other activities in the gallery. This includes both curated exhibitions that are conceived and commissioned by Phoenix, and a range of exhibitions initiated via the application process described here. We provide a centrally located, well-known, friendly, accessible and professionally managed space in which to present your exhibition.
Artists, curators and exhibition organisers can apply for an exhibition space provided they have in place or are likely to raise funds to cover the venue costs (figures below).
The galleries at Phoenix Brighton are located on the ground floor of the building, which is based in central Brighton. The North (large) gallery is comprised of a large space approximately 11 x 14 metres, and a smaller adjacent space (see floor plan below). One side of the gallery has windows facing the street. The walls are painted white, the floor is plywood painted dark grey, and the ceiling is 2.9 meters high, with LED track lighting.
If you wish to hire the gallery for an event or private activity, please go to this page.
These are the dates currently available. The timing and
length of exhibition slots varies according to requirements.
30 May – 17 June
18 – 26 July
22 August – 9 September
14 January – 6 March
22 June – 28 July
1 August – 8 September ‘pop up’ exhibitions and events
Applications for exhibitions taking place during the above
dates are currently being reviewed on an ongoing basis.
– Front desk reception/invigilation (W-Sun 11am – 5 pm)
– Social media promotion
– External poster
– Public liability insurance
– Venue management and overheads
The organiser/exhibitor is responsible for:
– All production, presentation and transport costs and labour
– Insurance of exhibition contents
– Adhering to Phoenix’s marketing and health & safety guidelines
A significant number of exhibitors have applied for and received support from a range of funding bodies; we suggest you include these figures in your fundraising applications, and we are happy to discuss this further with you. A limited number of bursary reductions are available at certain times of the year. Please indicate in your application that you wish to be considered for a rate reduction and your reason. The income generated from the venue charge is invested directly into the core running costs of the charity.
The current rates are show below.
Minimum hire length is one week.
Exhibitions open to the public Weds – Sun 11 am – 5 pm.
SETTING UP/DERIG/PUBLIC OPENING
Open to public 5 days ; set up/derig 2 days
|Open to public 7-8 days; set up/derig 3-4 days||
|Open to public 12 days; set up/derig 4 days||
|Open to public 17 days; set up/derig 4 days||
|Open to public 22 days; set up/derig 4 days||
|Additional opening times||Open to public outside of regular hours – to cover invigilation staff||
|Minimum hire is 1 week (above)||
£200 + £50 invigilation if required
How to Apply:
Exhibition organisers are invited to submit an online application
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
– A non-refundable deposit equal to 25% of total cost will be taken in order to secure any booking
– A refundable deposit is held against damage to the gallery. The gallery to be returned to its original condition at end of hire.
Additional services and charges as required:
– Facilities and staffing for exhibition preview (price on application)
– Electricity usage (eg for heating, additional equipment and consumption above baseline levels, to be assessed and agreed in advance.) Equipment brought in by exhibitor must first be PAT tested.
– Technician services – £17 – 19 / hour
– Sale of work is transacted through an online shop and managed by Phoenix. A 35% commission is taken on all sales.
– Workshop / meeting space on ground floor: information here
– Equipment hire (media projector @£10/day), flat screen monitor or speakers @ £30/week) refundable deposit held against damage to equipment
– Standard wall colour is white. Change of wall colour for longer bookings must be agreed in advance, and additional time, labour and materials will be charged for.