PUBLIC EXHIBITION SPACE
Phoenix Brighton hosts a year round programme of public exhibitions, events and other activities in the gallery. This includes three curated exhibitions that are conceived and commissioned by the Exhibitions Group at Phoenix, and up to four exhibitions selected via the application process described here. Artists, curators and exhibition organisers can apply for an exhibition space provided they have or are likely to raise funds to cover the venue costs (figures below). A significant number of exhibition organisers have secured support from public and private funding bodies and other sources in order to meet their exhibition costs. The gallery is also available to hire for private activity at certain times of the year.
The exhibition spaces at Phoenix Brighton are located on the ground floor of the building, which is based in central Brighton. The North (large) gallery is comprised of a large space approximately 11 x 14 metres, and a smaller adjacent space (see floor plan below). One side of the gallery has windows facing onto the street. The walls are painted white, the floor is plywood painted dark grey, and the ceiling is 2.9 meters high, with track lighting. The gallery dimensions will change slightly following refurbishment work in 2018.
If you wish to hire the gallery for an event or private activity, please see this page.
December 13 – 31
June 7 – 31
July 1 – 31
August 1 – 31
September 1 – 24
March 1 – 31
April 1 – 19
June 13 – 30
July 1 – 31
August 1 – 31
Applications for exhibitions taking place during the above dates are currently being reviewed by the Exhibitions Group on an ongoing basis.
The exhibition organiser is responsible for covering their own production, presentation, insurance and publicity costs, and to adhere to Phoenix’s marketing, and health and safety guidelines. The venue charges below represent a proportion of the actual cost to Phoenix of hosting an exhibition, and apply to all times the gallery is in use, including setting up and taking down. The figures include invigilation (@ £50/day, Weds – Sun) and venue overhead costs. Funds to cover the costs below would ideally be confirmed before an application is considered, and priority will be given to applications with funds already in place. A significant number of exhibitors have applied for and received support from a range of funding bodies; you may wish to include these figures in your fundraising application.
The current rates are show below. Minimum hire length is one week.
A limited number of concessionary rates (25 – 50% reduction of advertised rates) are available for successful applications; please indicate on your application if you wish to be considered for a reduced rate and your rationale for this.
3 1/2 week (17 day exhibition)
|5 day exhibition (open Weds – Sun 11 am – 5 pm)||
|Minimum hire is 7 days (above)||
Selection and programming of public exhibitions:
Exhibition organisers are invited to submit an online application (see link below) by the deadline given. The Exhibitions Group will select exhibitions that demonstrate a good match with the programme context and criteria, and you will be asked to provide further details about your project if it has been shortlisted. The Exhibitions Group is made up of artists, curators and specialist advisers who steer the curatorial vision of the exhibitions programme. Current members include David Garcia, Lucy Day, Sue Gollifer and Emma Critchley.
Application to exhibit: online form
- A non-refundable deposit equal to 25% of total cost will be taken in order to secure any booking
- A refundable deposit is held against damage to the gallery. The gallery to be returned to its original condition at end of hire.
Additional services and charges as required:
- Facilities and staffing for exhibition preview (price on application)
- Electricity usage (eg for heating, additional equipment and consumption above baseline levels, to be assessed and agreed in advance.) Equipment brought in by exhibitor must first be PAT tested.
- Technician services – £17 / hour
- Sale of work is transacted through an online shop and managed by Phoenix. A 35% commission is taken on all sales.
- Workshop / meeting space on ground floor: information here
- Equipment hire (media projector @£10/day), flat screen monitor or speakers @ £30/week) refundable deposit held against damage to equipment
- Standard wall colour is white. Change of wall colour for longer bookings must be agreed in advance, and additional time, labour and materials will be charged for.
Please note that following gallery refurbishment in late 2018 the large space will be slightly narrower from the front of the building and wider from the right side of floor plan. The lighting will be upgraded to LED spotlights.