ARTIST OF THE MONTH: RUTH RIX
1. How long have you been at Phoenix?
Almost 16 years ( I think )
2. What are you working on at the moment?
I like working on 2 or 3 paintings at the same time. Just now I am continuing exploring huts & other structures & sometimes the relationship of the figure to them
3. Which media do you like to use?
I like using mixed media, but oils are my favourite.
4. Which other artists do you admire?
Artists I admire are Peter Doig, Frank Auerbach, Hughie O’Donoghue, Cornelia Parker, Marlene Dumas, Tacita Dean, William Kentridge, Chantal Akerman, Ori Gersht, Shelagh Wakely.
5. What would you recommend to go see?
Whitworth Art Gallery, Elizabeth Price curates.
Ben Brown Fine Art, Ori Gerscht.
Foundling Hospital, Cornelia Parker – ‘Found’
6. And finally, is there a piece of work you’re particularly proud of?
I very much like a recent painting I’ve done called ‘ House, House ‘
To find out more about Ruth, take a look at her website. Check back next month for our next artist of the month!