Artists of the Month: April 2019
1. How long have you been at Phoenix?
I have been a Phoenix artist for 18 months
2. What are you working on at the moment?
I am now fully immersed in drawing after many years as an oil painter - I remain a figurative artist at heart, and my work is of human faces and bodies. I think it likely I will return to oil painting in the future.
3. Which media do you like to use?
I really enjoy using charcoal and paper.
4. Which other artists do you admire?
I really like the work of Lucien Freud, Paula Rego - also Frank Auerbach and Jenny Saville.
5. What would you recommend to go see?
Tate Britain and Tate Modern are my go to places
6. What work are you most proud of?
My current favourite is a drawing I did of my father's face, late in 2018.
For more about Dawei, visit his website.
See the full Artist of the Month archive here and check back next month to see who's featured!