Artist of the Month: December 2017
As we approach the end of the year, we thought it only fair to shine a light on the photography behind the Artist of the Month portraits. Manel Ortega has been taking photographs of his fellow studio members ever since he moved into his studio here two years ago; some of these portraits can be seen in our Artist of the Month archive.
1. How long have you been at Phoenix?
I've been here for 2 and a half years.
2. What are you working on at the moment?
I'm always taking portraits and right now I'm editing a magazine called MANOLO.
3. Which media do you like to use?
Digital camera and I also use Photoshop.
4. Which other artists do you admire?
I really admire a lot of master photographers from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Irving Penn, Avedon, Helmut Newton, Steven Meisel....
5. What would you recommend to go see?
I have always inspirations at VA - TATE Modern and The National Portrait Gallery
6. Is there a piece of work you’re particularly proud of?
My magazine MANOLO, I'm very proud of the project.