Artist of the Month
Photo Credit: Manel Ortega
1. How long have you been at the Phoenix?
I have been at Phoenix for 21 years !
2. What images keep you company in your studio space?
I have a couple of large charcoal drawings I did just after leaving Uni. I also have the wall above my desk covered in postcards, images cut out from magazines = visual sustenance
3. You have coordinated the Phoenix Art Space 2019 Advent Calendar, which will be installed in the windows of our artist studios and revealed over the course of December. Could you tell us a little bit about the ideas behind it, and the people involved?
The Advent was an idea I had ages ago but never had the funding to do. It is part of a bigger set of ideas I have around communities engaging with art without having to enter the building. Alongside that was the idea of using the building as an art object. I talked a lot about these ideas to Sarah Davies when she was Studio Manager and when she became Director she was very keen to do the Advent. This year I worked with school children to produce the images for the back of each ‘Bauble’ and I spent much of November covered in glitter making the baubles and sewing on the fairy lights. My studio was wrecked for much of the time and is only now getting back to normal!
4. Which date or artwork are you looking forward to revealing most?
A perk of the job is that I get to pick my favourite one for my studio window. The 5th. … a FANTASTIC snowman, drawn in charcoal. I love it.
5. You are exhibiting in the Phoenix Art Space Window Gallery in Spring 2020. What have you got planned?
I am working on some very large collage pieces based around the fragility of flowers and people. It sounds a bit grim but it’s really quite joyous. I just have to vacuum up the last of the Christmas glitter from the carpet in my studio ...and I’m off. Merry Christmas everyone.
See our Christmas Advent Calendar on the front of the Phoenix Art Space building, revealed day-by-day throughout December. Keep an eye out for 24 & 25 December, which are in our ground floor windows. You can also check out each date / design on our Instagram.
See the full Artist of the Month archive here and check back next month to see who's featured!