Image Credit: Manel Ortega
Artist Studios at Phoenix Art Space
Phoenix Art Space is the largest visual arts space in the region, and provides over 100 professional studios to over 120 artists and makers. Artists are selected for studios at Phoenix Art Space once every year.
Who Do We Select?
We are keen for artists working in all disciplines to have the opportunity to become studio holders at Phoenix Art Space. We currently operate a ‘pool’ system, where-by artists are selected to become part of the pool group and those in the pool are invited to take on vacant studio space when it becomes available. Phoenix Art Space is a charity and is able to offer studio space at a reduced rent to artists who are unable to rent studios from landlords at a commercial rate. We operate a selection process to ensure that our artists meet our criteria and that the spaces are actively used.
By ‘artists’ we mean artists that work largely within the visual arts, including fine art, photography, film, video, sculpture and applied arts. We also encourage applications from artists that have a cross disciplinary practice such as sound and performance, but we would expect to see a visual arts foundation to their practice.
How Are Artists Selected?
A call for applications is made 1 month prior to the selection meeting. Artists are selected by a panel made up of current Phoenix artists, which changes every year. Artists selected at this stage will be held on the pool list until a suitable space becomes available. Those selected and offered studio space will be expected to fulfill the criteria below on an ongoing basis. We offer spaces to artists that successfully meet the selection criteria and who also match our requirements when a space becomes available. Phoenix Art Space is keen to keep a balance of working practice, gender, age and ethnicity within the building, and this will be kept in mind when selecting artists and allocating studios.
Criteria For Selection
Artists will be selected for studio space if they can demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to their professional practice.
- Engagement with current contemporary practice.
- Ambition to progress and develop their practice within a critical framework.
- Willingness to participate in public events, including the annual open studio event, and occasional studio visits.
- Willingness to promote the organisations activities and to acknowledge their part in the organisation where appropriate.
- Commitment to contributing to the professional development of artists at Phoenix Art Space by taking part in discussion, mentoring and critical debate.
- Willingness to engage with the organisation’s education and artistic programmes.
- Willingness to be part of an artists community & contribute to the day to day running of the studios.
- Commitment to spending the majority of their working time actively using the studio space.
- Show how your practice will benefit from the provision of affordable studio space at Phoenix Art Space.
- Ability to meet required commitments, including rota jobs.
- Ability to pay collective charges fully and on time.
Our 100+ studios are spread across 5 floors, including the basement. We regret that there is no step-free access to our studios. The studio spaces vary in sizes, see below for examples of general sizes. All spaces are charged on a square ft basis and include, water rates and general running costs with electricity charged monthly on top.
- Full Space (380sq ft) about 23×16.5 feet/7m x 4.57m @ around £270 pcm
- ¾ Space (285sq ft) about 17×16.5 feet/5m x 4.57m @ around £200 pcm
- ½ Space (180sq ft) about 11×16.5 feet/3.4 x 4.57m @ around £125 pcm