Michelle Cobbin: I’d Be Enlightened Now If It Wasn’t For You
About the Event
Michelle Cobbin’s work draws upon her longstanding interests in contemplative practices and abstract art. Her paintings explore the relationship between colour and feeling and how the simplest of images can spark an immediacy of response.
It often takes her a long time – involving much layering, scratching, scraping and smoothing – before a painting has been successfully pared down to its essentials to reveal something with the necessary clarity and balance.
For Cobbin, the creative process is rarely straightforward. Like her meditation practice, it involves struggle, rumination, all-consuming fantasy and sweet delusion. Ways forward get obscured and obstructed. There are no guarantees of equilibrium or grace. She rolls with the highs, lows and don’t know’s to discover a subtle contentment that arises from the process.
VISITING THE GALLERIES
The galleries at Phoenix Art Space are open Wednesday – Sunday, 11.00 – 17.00 during exhibition dates.
- You do not need to book in advance of your visit. Entry is free.
- Mask wearing is optional, please be considerate of those who choose to wear one.
- Our cleaners clean high-contact areas regularly.
- Sanitizer is available throughout the building.
- Please stay at home if you are feeling unwell.