Leap Then Look: October Half-Term Art School
This October half term Leap Then Look will run a three-day art school for children aged 8-13 yrs.
Participants will work with experienced professional artists, using exciting and unconventional approaches, including object making, performance, installation, film, and photography. The focus of the workshops will be on working together and inspiring playfulness, inquisitiveness and experimentation, through which children will make friends, learn new skills and engage in multiple processes, creating their own work.
The art school will be a three-day adventure in contemporary art, where children will discover a range of new art making techniques through a mixture of structured and open-ended daily activities. Emphasis will be given to exploring ideas practically, using a wide range of inspiring materials and looking at the work and processes of contemporary artists working today. Children will work with different media and technology to create their own images, videos, objects, performances and environments, always working BIG, trying things out in new and unexpected ways and asking questions.
What makes the Leap Then Look Art School special?:
- Children get the chance to experience art activities they will not get in school and gain experience of how their ideas can be developed and explored across different art forms.
- Our experimental, open-ended approach helps them build creative skills, divergent thinking, curiosity and wonder.
- They build collaboration skills appreciating the value of different people’s ideas and contributions.
- They are given freedom and responsibility for their own work, leading to increased resilience, self-confidence and well being.
- They are supported by highly skilled professional artists who challenge their expectations and support them to discover new things.
- They work with children of different ages; supporting younger children and being inspired by older children.
Response from parents of children who took part in the Leap Then Look summer school 2019:
“A really free range experience where our daughter develops her ideas and collaborates with new friends, all the time taking advice and guidance from brilliant, inspiring staff. She absolutely loves the independence the programme affords and the way she can create work across all sorts of art mediums. She loves the ability to collaborate with other kids across different age groups and learns so much guiding younger kids, and looking up to the example of older kids. We’d make Leap Then Look available to every kid in the country if we could.”
The Leap Then Look art schools at Phoenix Art Space take place on a regular basis during the holidays. Every art school is different with new activities, materials and process introduced each time.
Children will need to bring: a packed lunch, snacks, water bottle and clothes they can get messy in.
Booking: please ensure you provide all the required information about your child on checkout including any additional needs or requirements. Your mobile phone number will be used as an emergency contact.
N.B. A sibling discount is available on additional tickets if parents/carers buy one full price ticket at the same time.